First dance

First dance

Sunday, June 21, 2015

To jump or not to jump... that is the question!

On Thursday, I received a verbal job offer. On Friday, I received the official written offer. But as excited as I was after my interview the previous week, the offer did not quite meet the initial hype. The tidbit that made me put on the brakes was the fact that the company does not cover for spouses under their insurance plans. While this may not be a factor for most, for me, it was close to a dealbreaker. After a more depth look at the benefit packet, I discovered the company offers a wide range of benefits, even including pet insurance... so it absolutely baffles me why they do not offer some type of coverage for spouses. I mean, not every single family has the luxury of both people working full time. What's more, COBRA benefits or resorting to Obamacare government benefits are just not appealing to me. I have a job right now where I can get health benefits for both of us, so why would I jump ship to a place where I can get great benefits for me but not my husband?

After a few days of stewing on the offer, some other issues/red flags have emerged. The company totally low-balled me on salary, despite having twice the number of years experience required for the job AND a Master's degree. While the base salary is about $10,000 more each year that what I currently make, what am I losing or sacrificing for those extra monies? I am waiting for clarification on several items, but the offer had no mention of PTO or 401(k) match. Also, it appears I would be paying for disability benefits myself whereas, now, my current employer covers that for me. As much as I thought this position was going to be the right one for me, more and more, I am feeling that it is totally not.

They want me to start on July 6th. They're already burning up my email box requesting that I complete onboarding tasks and such. To me, this is overzealous on their part considering I have not accepted the offer.

I want a new job. I want to grow in my career. And I want to make more money. These are not huge developments. But I have to remember that I DO have a job that pays the bills and I do not have to make a move until I am certain the job is right for me. It would be foolish to jump into this job when my gut is telling me to stay put and wait on something better. I'm not sure how long it will be, but I know that God will bless me. Perhaps, it is my husband's turn to shine and enjoy a blessing. Mine can come later if it means awesome things for him. In the end, it is about taking care of our family and making a better life for us. Any job that does not understand or provide those things is not the right one for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment