First dance

First dance

Monday, June 29, 2015

Sudden loss triggers thoughts...

After a weekend filled with food, friends and games, we woke up Sunday morning to a text from my mother in law. My husband's uncle passed away suddenly that morning. While he had a scare several months back with a mild heart attack, this was unexpected. Apparently, he passed from double pneumonia. We aren't sure yet if he had been battling with it or if it just overtook him all at once. Either way, the world lost a great man and heaven gained a sweet soul.

Buddy, although quiet, could fill the room with his spirit. He was kind. He was a jokester. And he was the first one to help out his family or friend. My husband said he'd been right there numerous times when his mom needed help. In fact, this past winter, her car battery died and I remember her distinctively saying, "I'm alright. Buddy came over, took me to get a battery and is putting it in now". That's just the kind of person he was... and there will be a big void because he has passed.

I feel for his children. He leaves behind a son and daughter. His son just graduated from college a few months ago. His daughter... well, she just turned 21 last week... on Father's Day... Although Buddy was lucky enough to be here and celebrate many occasions with them, there is still so much he will miss out on. Losing a parent is never easy... but it is even worse when it is sudden and unexpected. So many things left unsaid and no more time to spend with the one you love.

I cannot help but think about his wife. Married over 30 years. Losing him must be like losing her left arm. How in the world will life ever be the same? Once you find your soulmate in this life, it is hard to fathom living a day without them. One day, they're here with you, eating breakfast, grocery shopping, watching a movie with you... and the next day, they're just... gone...

It just terrifies me to think about losing my boo... sudden or expected... because he is my world. With him, my world makes sense. Without him, there is no longer a reason to get up each day or take on the world's battles. I am grateful for each moment we have together, but when things like this happen, it brings my fear of losing him to the forefront. Some days, the fear is almost paralyzing and overwhelms my heart with sadness.

For now, I just have to pray. Pray for my husband's family, especially Buddy's wife and kids. Pray for my husband and me... that our journey will continue and end so tragically or so soon.

Life is short. Hold onto the people you love. You may not get another chance.



No comments:

Post a Comment