First dance

First dance

Monday, December 2, 2013

Another divorce may be on the horizon...

It's always disappointing to hear of couples having marital problems. This year has been full of them, it seems. Adam & Tonya, Bill & Rhonda, and now, an old friend confided in me today that she, too, is having problems in her marriage. I am not sure what happened and she didn't disclose any details - but it must be bad.

I've known Samantha since high school. We met our Sophomore year and were inseparable until she got married in 2000 and moved to Alabama. Like me, she met her husband online -- but theirs was an odd story from the start. They talked online for about 5-6 months. He was originally from Alabama, but lived in Alaska at the time and was previously married with 4 children. He was considerably older, although that isn't always a dealbreaker.  They met and then the next day, he moved from AK to KY to be with her. She was barely 20 at the time. Before I knew it, they were engaged and married. About a year after they married, she packed up her KY life and moved it to Alabama to be closer to his family. We lost touch for a while but reconnected a few years back, thanks to Facebook.

Since getting married back in 2000, they've had 4 kids of their own. In photos, she looks quite happy being a mom and I always knew she'd be great at it. But, there aren't a lot of photos of her and Chip... and in the ones I've seen, she doesn't look like a woman in love. Now, after 13 years of marriage, I can imagine that kids, money and just life can wear a couple down and they may not keep their newlywed glow. But-that's a lot of time invested and I know she's kept it together this long for the sake of her children.

Right now, she's in KY. I thought she was just visiting, but apparently, she needed to get a break from her husband and try to regroup. That could be all she needs is a little distance. OR things could be headed down a more painful road. I'm not quite sure at this point. It just saddens me that couples... marriages... can break apart so easily. I just pray that Rodney and I can stay strong, united and not allow the influences of the world or Satan's stronghold to gain any ground in our marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment