First dance

First dance

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Suicide is real...

In the aftermath of hearing about a celebrity suicide, I look around to see if anyone is noticing how often this is happening. Gia Allemand was on The Bachelor a few years back. I clearly remember her because I thought she was one of the prettiest girls who have ever been on the show. But more than that, she had the personality of the girl next door. She had a sweet spirit and seemed like the perfect catch for a great guy and a cool chick to be friends with. It was almost like she didn't realize how beautiful she was. Maybe she truly didn't...

Stories are emerging with details of how she struggled with demons, tried to always get attention from the guys and was seemingly looking for something she never quite found. It's sad. You never know the inner demons people are wrestling with, even the most beautiful people. You never know the pain people are struggling to overcome, even when it seems they 'have it altogether'. 

It isn't just celebrities. Real people are taking their own lives. A coworker's fiance just recently had an uncle commit suicide. He was with family in the days before. He and his family had just RSVP'd to attend this friend's wedding. And yet, in the blink of an eye, his life was over. My father made the same choice almost 7 years ago. He's spoken to his wife on the phone about what was for dinner that night. He went to the drug store and got a flu shot. And then, in the blink of an eye, his life was over.

We'd like to think there are signs along the way and sometimes, there are. Other times, we just have to recognize the red flags on our own... If we wait for someone to call us to tell us they're going to commit suicide, chances are, they will be gone before we ever get the chance to help them.

Suicide is real and it is taking too many precious lives. I was interested to see what scripture said about suicide and those who choose to end their lives. Here is what I found:

“Suicide is a grave sin equivalent to murder (Exodus 20:13; 21:23), but it can be forgiven like any other sin. And Scripture says clearly that those redeemed by God have been forgiven for all their sins–past, present, and future (Colossians 2:13-14). Paul says in Romans 8:38-39 that nothing can separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus.

Life is hard, that's no secret. But God never gives us more than we can handle. I truly believe that. Besides, He is with us through EVERYTHING. In my darkest hour, when I was near the door of suicide, God called to me and promised He would bring me through whatever was bringing me down. And He did. Because He is faithful. Had I thrown in the towel and given up any of the times I contemplated, I would be missing out on this beautiful world I wake up to everyday.

I am SO thankful for God's love. And I am SO thankful He brought me through those storms. I now have a wonderful husband and we are looking to grow our family soon... these are beautiful things I might have missed if I had let the demons win. There is always hope. There is hope in Jesus.


Need help? In the U.S., call 1-800-273-8255


National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

No comments:

Post a Comment