First dance

First dance

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

And the results are...

After all of the turmoil with my boss and the possibility of my job on the line if I did not take action, I underwent a sleep study. I knew I had been tired. I knew my energy level was negative 0. I knew I often drifted off or fell asleep if I sat still too long at home. But I was not prepared for the study or what it would ultimately find.


I received a voicemail last Wed. from the nurse stating that the doctor had read my study and she was calling to give me the results. When I called back, she rattled off some details and my head started to spin. I was like "Hold up! Did I HEAR you right!? Can you repeat that again?" So, for the study, they measure your respiratory interruptions per hour. If you are A-ok, you should have less than 5. If they consider you "severe", you'd have over 30. I had 157. Holy cannoli! She went onto say that ideally, a person's oxygen level should stay above 90%. I recall when I had pneumonia last winter, it was below 70 and doctors were about to slap me in the hospital. Ready for this? During my night of study, my oxygen level got all the way down to 48%. Yep, basically I am dead-girl-walking. I say that jokingly, but I am honestly lucky to be here, walking around and functioning at all with numbers like that. The nurse said she would call in an order for a sleep apnea machine --- and then on Thursday, I picked up the dreaded C-Pap.
 

Mind you, it's not loud like a vacuum cleaner as I expected. But the mask looks like I am getting CPR and it has to be strapped to my head. The first night, I laid on my back in the same position all night. The second night, I tried falling asleep on my side. Since then, it's taking some adjustment. Especially for my back. It misses the days when I could sleep on my belly. It's not used to the position I am sleeping in or the fact that I stay in that position for most of the night now. I guess I will get used to it eventually... The important thing is: It's working. Even after only a few days, I can feel a difference. Going to the grocery store after work (or just the thought of it) doesn't wipe me out. I was up this weekend, doing a few household chores, cooking for my husband, not sitting on the couch nodding off. It's nice to have a bit energy again... I might actually be able to get back in the gym which will be nice.


I still think my boss went about things the wrong way. But, I am thankful I was pushed into doing the sleep study. The C-Pap guy said I was going to feel like a brand new woman, and he was right!

Next step: Get my husband tested!

No comments:

Post a Comment