First dance

First dance

Monday, July 8, 2013

So long, long weekend...

Personally, I think every 4th of July holiday should land on a Thursday. It was the perfect excuse to use a PTO holiday on Friday and enjoy a nice long weekend!


The bad news is that every single plan that we had was cancelled. We planned to have a mini-BBQ or at least dinner with my mother in law on the actual 4th. But she wasn't up for it and cancelled on us. Then the big BBQ we'd been looking forward to for the 6th was cancelled due to the weather (it rained 3 out of 4 days this weekend --booooo!) They're supposed to reschedule it for another weekend, but my heart (and my belly) were ready this Saturday!


We didn't have any set plans with another couple friends of ours, but I'd hoped for a game night or movie night with them. But nothing ever panned out there either. It seemed like someone was trying to tell us something because now, it was just the two of us...


Totally not a bad thing. We got our apartment cleaned. We got through our mountain of laundry. And then, we just enjoyed each other. We ate junk food (and some good stuff too), we napped, we watched movies, we had long talks... It was just us and it was wonderful.


We also spent some of our time 'counseling' a friend of ours. I've known him and his wife for almost the entire 8 years they've been together, but they only recently married in Nov. AND, they are already separated. It's sad that they did not work out their simple differences and figure out a way to communicate effectively with one another BEFORE they got married. The odds have been stacked against them from Day 1. He wants to work through what happened and fight for the marriage. She is giving him the cold shoulder, telling him it's over and is ready to throw in the towel.
 

I can't say I am surprised, knowing all that I do about their relationship ups and downs. But I hoped those days were behind them. I hoped that they were saying 'I Do' on a clean slate and giving their marriage a fair shot. I think he did... but she didn't... I just hate to see a marriage go up in flames so soon after it began -- especially when it all could've been avoided.




Today, it's back to business as usual. It's been a long Monday, trying to get back in the swing of things. I have a feeling the week may just drag on forever. Suppose I need to pick up a bottle of wine or two to get me through...


No comments:

Post a Comment