First dance

First dance

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

'Best Man Holiday'

Wow. Just wow. I'd heard great things and I'd read people's posts on Facebook about this movie -- but none of that prepared me for that movie.

(Warning: Spoiler alert)

The original 'Best Man' is one of my favorite movies. I've seen it a gazillion times! When I first heard about a sequel, my first question was, "What took them so darn long!?" My next thought was - There is NO way they can top the original. While I still don't think 'Best Man Holiday' topped the original, it certainly held its own and is leaving a special mark on all of those who see it.

It's no secret that I cry at movies. I do! I admit it! So, when I heard people saying they needed tissues, I was expecting some sort of sad scene/ending.

What I expected -not equal to- What actually happened

So, Harper's wife was pregnant, but it mentioned a history of fertility problems. I immediately thought, "Miscarriage. She is going to lose the baby and that is going to be the sad thing." Wrong!! It is uncovered midway through that Mia has cancer. By the time the gang is finally all together for the Christmas holidays, she is deteriorating fast. She holds on as long as she can and then she passes. Her husband, Lance, is strong and not one to show vulnerability. He is in denial of her illness for most of the movie, telling others that God is going to heal her if he just prays and holds onto his faith. But that doesn't happen... And when he finally comes to terms with it, his world is shattered.

My husband and I sat there -- stunned and emotional as Lance tries to let go of Mia. He ultimately breaks down (literally) as the casket is lowered into the ground. My husband and I were both overcome with emotion as we were both thinking about the other. How in the world could we EVER get through that kind of grief? How would it even be possible to function after such a heartbreaking loss? Even after the movie, we sat outside in the car and just held onto one another. It moved us. It frightened us. It made us PRAY that we NEVER have to see a day without one another.

We do our best not to take one another for granted. After seeing this movie, it humbles you and makes you realize how very important your spouse is in your life. Saying that Rodney is my everything does not even begin to describe what he truly is to me. He is my reason for living. He gives me the strength and courage and love I need to survive. Without him - I just can't even bear the thought.

This is one of those times I hope my life ends like the "The Notebook".

No comments:

Post a Comment