First dance

First dance

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Impromptu road trip!

My hubby and I were talking last week, just shooting the breeze when he said, "hey, why don't we take a roadtrip this weekend!?" Ummm, ok! Twist my arm!

Next was deciding where to go. We only had the weekend, so it would need to be some place close. In the end, we decided on Nashville...

Long ago, a road trip to Nashville was carefree, exciting and easy going. While this trip was those things to some degree, there was an underlying, almost dread, once we got there. For us, Nashville is filled with bittersweet memories. While at one time, it was the symbol of a fresh start of us, it turned out to be a heartbreaking time filled with struggles and hopelessness. As I drove down I-65 listening to my husband snore in the passenger seat, more and more of these memories were flooding into my brain. Several times over the course of the weekend, we talked about "what ifs" and pondered how our life could be drastically different with one change in decision, one small turn on the path...

We did enjoy our time away though. We visited a few wineries and hit one of our most favorite dinner places from when we lived in Murfreesboro. It was amazing... still... I really wish Demos would come to Louisville! :( We also stopped to visit a girl I worked with when I lived there. I used to call her friend... now I can just call her "a girl I worked with". It was surface, non-meaningful BS. Basically, a waste of 2 hours. It's sad to realize that someone you thought cared about you only did so when you were in their face all of the time. Now I was merely an acquaintance and made to feel as such. After what we did before my wedding, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. If someone backs out as your maid of honor via email 5 months before the wedding - then RSVPs "no" and doesn't come to the wedding at all - those are not the actions of a true friend.

Anyways - it was nice to get away. It took us four years to travel back to Nashville - and quite honestly - it might be that long before we go back. Our experience living there holds more negatives than positives and well, visiting there only rehashes a time we would prefer not to relive. So, Nashvegas, maybe we'll see ya, maybe we won't (unless you bring back the Chicken Shack -- and then we'll be back in a hurry!!)





 

 

1 comment:

  1. Your pictures are beautiful.

    I'm sorry that the trip brought back memories you would rather leave behind. That is always hard especially when you see a person that you once considered a dear friend to ask them to be your MOH. I can't even imagine. Sending you good thoughts and vibes!

    ReplyDelete