First dance

First dance

Thursday, October 16, 2014

And so I did... But I'm not sure why...

After a lot of back and forth conversations (with myself, mostly), I bit the bullet and mailed a letter to my mother. It wasn't mean. It wasn't pitiful. It was an "olive branch". It was as much as I could muster up to try to communicate with my mother.

A few weeks passed and one day, out of the blue, I checked the anonymous email I'd set up for the sole purpose of her response. And there it was. She responded. I held my breath as I opened and by the second sentence, I was sitting, chin on the floor, asking myself why I even bothered. It was the most manipulative, guilt-ridden, pity party, delusional fiasco of a letter I've ever read (well, not counting her previous letters, of course). I drove home, aggressive music blaring, windows down, trying to find a way to sort through that mess. When I got home, I had wine... and more wine... talked to my husband... then he had wine... and then a mixed drink... Yep, it was that bad.

I marinated on her letter for a couple of days, pondering whether or not to respond and trying to find a way not to dismiss her altogether. Finally, as respectively as I could, I drafted a reply. It didn't take long before she had more to say - and it was much of the same BS as her first note. After several eyerolls and "Why the hell did I even do this", I began to realize that it was going to be next to impossible to reason with my mother.

As of today, we've corresponded back and forth three times. It's a nightmare really. I am trying not to disrespect her but it's getting more and more difficult to bite my tongue, particularly when she tells bold-faced lies or tries her hand at manipulating me the way she used to. As much as I miss having a mom, I am not going to allow her to bring unnecessary drama into my life. I am trying - and if she cannot appreciate my efforts to reach out and try to fix what is broken - then she does not deserve to be in my life.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to read this. It makes me sad that you can't have the mother daughter relationship that you deserve. But you are right, you can't have unnecessary drama in your life. It isn't healthy. Thinking of you and really hoping that things do get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faith, thank you for the sweet note. It's been a tough battle, for sure. But I definitely don't want to bring unnecessary drama into my world. Life is way too short to be stressed out or anxious all the time... It took me a lot of years to learn that!

      Delete